Frequently Asked Questions

  • How much would it cost to have my trees looked at?
  • Quotations and advice are free. Every situation is different; there is no standard procedure. A site visit is necessary to assess the situation. We make every effort to arrive at the best answer to your problem which benefits both you and your trees for health, safety and longevity.
  • What is the law as regards to tree removal or pruning?
  • This depends on where you live and whether you fall within a conservation area or the tree may be protected individually by a preservation order. In this case, an application must be made to the council before ANY works can be completed. Failure to seek permission can result in fines of up to £20,000.

    Where the reason for the work is a matter of Health & Safety (for instance branches overhanging a public highway becoming unstable), it’s very unlikely that the application will be refused. However, if the work is of a cosmetic nature, they may take more persuading. On the whole though, we are very rarely refused consent as long as the works are not excessive and are carried out in a sympathetic manner and according to British Standards. UK Treework Ltd can submit the applications on your behalf and deal with any queries from the council.

    Trees that are dead, dying or dangerous can be worked on without the councils’ permission. However it’s always a good idea to let them know what you are doing.
  • How long does it take for the council to decide if you can work on your trees?
  • In the case of trees within a conservation area, from acknowledgement of the application to approval is 42 days. Trees protected by a preservation order will take longer, up to 3 months.
  • What happens to the waste?
  • There are various options available. We can remove the waste from your premises completely. It will be taken away to be used for firewood, planking, mulch or to rot down. Alternatively, and often the cheaper option, we can chip the brash and leave for you to use as mulch and cut up the logs into smaller sections to be used as firewood or to be left as habitat piles.

    Where stumps have been ground out, the waste is left to rot down. If the ground were levelled and the waste taken away, you would be left with a depression in the ground once nature had taken it’s course.
  • With stump grinding, how far below the surface do you go?
  • Usually the stump will be taken up to 14” below the surface. This will give you the option to overplant the site.
  • At what time of year should I prune my trees?
  • Most trees are best pruned during the dormant period, October to March. However a rough guide is not at bud break or leaf fall but at any other time.

    There are different guidelines for particular species. Walnut trees should be pruned in August to prevent bleeding. Most fruit trees for example should be pruned during the dormant period (from November to March), whereas Cherries must be pruned in mid-summer after flowering to avoid fungal infection.
  • What are the consequences of pruning my trees?
  • Generally over the long term, pruning promotes greater root activity. The regrowth is generally weaker after pruning and there is always a chance of rot at pruning points as the tree doesn’t heal; a callus forms over the pruning point. It can increase vitality and crown spread when you remove the vertical growth.

    Some trees do not respond well to pruning, for example Birch are soft wooded and susceptible to rot/decay
  • I have some large trees which overhang the road. Am I responsible for them?
  • You have a duty of care to maintain them in a healthy and safe condition, as far as is possible. We would recommend that you have trees looked at every 3 years by a qualified arborist.
  • I have a tree which is leaning. Should I worry it will fall?
  • This depends on the position of the tree and its proximity to buildings and roads; the species and the condition. Whether it stands alone or with other trees also impact on the assessment. Generally if any of these situations have recently changed, it may well be a problem that needs looking at by a professional.